Sunday, June 29, 2014

When Nirvana is farfetched

How is capitalism strengthened as an economic system in our country? How do some people allow it to occur despite some of its negative consequences and its inability to make people think, act and feel properly? Let me tell you a story. 

I was about to leave a supermarket when I saw a delicious-looking ice cream stand. So I ordered for a cone which was really very cheap, only P5. Afterwards, I noticed there were several plastic box containers on the side of the stand. I asked the vendor if I could have one. She told me to ask permission from the gate checker of the supermarket. Hence I did but was denied. Why so? Two other officers of the supermarket, apart from the gatekeeper told me, the containers were to be checked out in the books to signify as the number of finished contents. "Why not get my name, my ID number, including my address so that you or anybody else can check with me if I had gotten one as proof of reduction of number of containers?" Did they listen? No. Secondly, I said but I would re-use that as sewing box. Therefore, I would be contributing to environmental protection. Did they budge?

Nope. 

Secondly, everytime I enter a certain supermarket, I always feel that as a customer I have to insure that the owner should make a killing out of my purchases. i cannot even ask for a box to contain all the supplies I have bought. On the other hand, in the other supermarket, I could always ask for a box, small or big, and that is given with a smile, a "Thank you, Ma'am." And you know what, my heart bleeds for them. The workers are short, showing that they did not get the proper nutrition when they were young so that they could grow tall. Oh, how they work hard -- because before six months come, they would change employers again as they are just contractuals. 

Aside from calculated wastage, that is another bane of capitalism. Contractualization. Many of our graduates are forced to  take up jobs that offer them no tenure because of the necessity to survive and to feed their families. 

Is it possible to attain Nirvana in this lifetime at the rate these phenomena are occurring? Some people just make it harder and harder. 

So what do I do? Inhale, exhale. 

No comments: