Friday, June 13, 2014

ON BEING CREATIVE IN LIFE

by Wilhelmina S. Orozco


Some people think that to be creative is only to be in the arts. Not exactly. Even a criminal could be creative. Did you see how Napoles creatively developed a system so that money from the government flowed freely into her account?


To be creative is to learn how to focus. If we want to be a good creative writer, we need to read and read, understand and analyze articles so that we would see how the ideas flow from one to another, how it begins, develops and ends. If we want to be a creative entrepreneur, we need to focus on how to start a business, who are the people to hire, how to improve the product, etcetera, etcetera.

Being creative is spreading our imagination to the nitty-gritty of details and every corner of the activity that we are going into.

Some people are creative by knowing how to give themselves incentives -- like a having a good dining at a restaurant after finishing a truly creative project.

I am going into this because I discovered something about composing music, Folks. Yes I do compose but not regularly. Right now, however, I am composing for a musical play that I have just finished and which I will submit soon. I have found out that by focusing, I could churn out several melodies right away. The tunes come best in the morning, or after I have come from another activity, highly unrelated to what I am composing for. Usually, early morning, around 4 a.m. is best for me to work. A quiet place, my piano to my right, and my small table to my left where my score sheets are.

For a week now, I have finished composing 17 songs -- lyrics and melodies and my friends whose names I will reveal later after I have submitted the play, render very nice performance for recording of their voices, and the background music. Suddenly I had felt, while N and D were singing that the songs were no longer mine. They owned the songs because of their beautiful rendition of the pieces.

But you see, Folks, for me to be able to do these activities, I have to be financially capable -- have food to eat at home, alkaline water to drink and lots of coffee sachets -- so that I need not go out and interrupt the flow of creative ideas.

Tita King, the National Artist for Music in the 90's, told me that she worked best at about 2 a.m. She was able to organize her family life, so that she had enough workers at home who could cook for her, clean up her home, a driver to bring her to the Cultural Center of the Philippines and other artistic institutions. But her ideas for her music came from her great educational background, whereby she was able to learn how to combine western and eastern melodies, styles in order to show her own influences.

Hence, our cultural institutions could possibly be more generous, less bureaucratic when dealing with creative people -- women, men, girls, boys, elderlies, indigenous groups, etc. --. -- so that our approach to life's problems could go beyond the legalism currently going on now. 

Dealing with the Napoles case, it is expected that our judicial departments, sectors, should already finish the case immediately. The extension and endless extensions of the case reveals only one thing -- the lack of creativity to end it in favor of the people whose coffers have been raided under the guise of "public service."

So what could be a creative way of handling the Napoles case?

I could think of one. When we make a papier mache of Napoles, let her mouth spew names and then paper bills.

When we focus on a senator involved in the case, we could have a papier mache of him followed by wild animals. Then the bodies of the animals are plastic transparent and inside are paper bills too.

We could make a papier mache of the chief of staff involved, wearing a sexy dress and sitting on a high chair, talking to Napoles while beside her is the senator, offering her a drink.

Lots of ideas we could think of really.

Or we could have two tables -- one a project like a gym that was built out of the funds of a Congress representative with a breakdown of expenses -- how much it really cost to make. Then one the other table is the graph of the COA detailing the disallowed expenses.

In this manner, we could be teaching the people on how to examine project funds.

Yes, to be creative is to make the viewers be more knowledgeable, be mentally free to examine ideas, and form appropriate, correct and relevant judgments. We then shall have a truly free people, with imagination, and who know how to be assertive in society.

Come to think of it, Folks, to be financially well-off, we need to be creative too. What do you think of my putting ads in my blog? I have kept this for more than 6 years already. Please send meyour comments at miravera2010@gmail.com.

Warm regards.

No comments: