Wednesday, June 25, 2014

ON BEING CREATIVE

I have been writing lyrics and melodies for more than a week now. Regularly, i face my electronic piano, ready my table, my music notebooks, pens, white opaque eraser, and my Elemi SOOTHING liniment, invented by chemist Joe Ingles, a member of the Filipino Inventors' Society. I use the latter when I feel overwhelmed by the lyrics I am writing or I get so tired of hearing melodies in my mind. 


But I would like to talk of the creative process now. I think that I am able to write melodies because Tita King, my mentor from the 80's up to the new millenium, had taught me to free myself. I brought her my melodies in cassette form then in the 80's. Later on she told me to write them down in terms of notes. Instead of notes, I had written down bubbles. Then through her patient corrections, wherein she put tails, rests, and bars on them, I have been able to imbibe the rudiments of composing melodies. Since then, I have gone beyond bubbles and instead have been writing notes -- whole, half, quarter, eighth,-- even rests, G-clef, F-clef, etcetera. 

Music is an entirely different language after all. It is totally  different from textual writing. Every note you write down has a corresponding sound. Unlike with words, every word you say could end on paper, or you could say it aloud and it still stays in an alphabetical form. A musical note, however, has two forms -- the written name, and the sound. 

Now that sound is really an intricate matter to deal with. I noticed that as I write melodies about the angst of the flood victims, I tend to veer towards a certain kind of melody that really expresses the chaos, the tears, the grief of everyone. The music just seem to flow out of my system after every melody. And I don't inhibit myself because of that. I just continue to write and write. I don't really care how others would listen to my music, except that I feel the melodies coming out of my system. I even sing it, even as one reaches high octaves. 

Actually, I am inspired by the music from the only classical station in the country. I listen to programs by d johnson, bill mcglaughlin of exploring music, harmonia, sing for joy, compact discs, and many more. I learn a lot from bill's program as he analyzes each piece as a musician -- giving historical accounts as well as analyses of the pieces at times. Today, I heard a lot about immigrant composers like stravinsky and shostakovich. but i get to listen to operas too in this classical station, as well as the history of music. now that is really uplifting as my knowledge of music history is quite short. 

Sometimes I listen to Jazz of crossover. But I don't really fancy the lyrics of many songs because they just talk of love -- sweet love, unrequited love, love from a distance, love on a two-way high street, etcetera. i find them too constricting of viewing life. 

So as I write my melodies, I get to remember Tita King, the words spoken in that station, especially some highly important Christian messages that speak about the role of Christ always -- though i wish they would talk about how Christianity could prevent violence in the campuses in America. 
hanzhrtz.gif (9404 bytes)
In addition to writing music, I also went into animation. I enjoyed the workshop which ended last Sunday,  courtesy of the First Academy of Computer Arts headed by Margot, and ably assisted by Yna. I wonder why there are few takers when it is such a magical artform -- animation. While there, I conceptualized many short animation films using the features of Flash animation. We had a lesson on glow for example, taught by the way by our workshop training professor, Sir Franchie. I placed the map of the Philippines on the center of the stage (the screen) , then put glowing light around it. Another time, we had a lesson on blur, one image blurring and the other turning sharp. I had an image of Rizal on the left, and then it blurs as the picture image of youth in silhouettes jumping about. 

Composing music and animation are really engaging artistic activities. In fact, I don't notice the time passing by at all as I immerse myself in them. It seems as if the world could go hang and I wouldn't mind at all. Why because, the aim is to finish a product. 

How I wish I could have the luxury to engage in it full time. But I have to create many project proposals yet. 

Now, that's all Folks. I will upload some of my music and animation works in the future when I get the tools to do so. 

Meanwhile, get a hobby Folks. It could be the start of a new profession.  It's also one way of unburdening yourself of the dire news that do not seem to end at all. 


No comments: