Tuesday, April 28, 2020

SOCIAL DISTANCING AND PRISONERS

On March 8, 2020, I went to the Galas Police Precinct to give a gallon of alkaline water to the women prisoners. They were billeted in a room next to the men's which was nearer the opening door. I could not see how many there were. My heart was pounding when I gave the water and some reading materials as to why March 8 is a significant date for women. I heard the men say "thank you" ahead of the women. They all looked very grateful. 

I just could not imagine how the male prisoners-- there were more than ten of them- how they could act as human beings in a prison cell that is only about ten x ten meters. I could see three or five lying down on pieces of cardboard on the floor and reading, while the others were standing up. 

No, I did not bother to interview nor asked if I could since I know already the response to that request. 

But that scenery gives me a good idea on how to prevent the prisoners from contracting Covid19 at this time. And this could be done to all other prison cells that are packed full.

The PNP must rent a big house with a lawn somewhere which they can secure with twenty police officers or twenty soldiers. The house should have a high wall fence about twenty feet. Then the security of the place can be done with dogs and about five soldiers around, with the fences having a capacity to ring a bell once someone attempts to climb it. 

I am sure with real estate becoming a losing proposition nowadays, the CREBA, or the Chamber of Real Estate and Builders' Associations Inc., the largest Real Estate umbrella organization in the Philippines could be tapped for this purpose. After talking with them about available houses, then the PNP can assign a task force to determine how to use these places;  how many prisoners can be accommodated per house; which ones can be placed there depending on gravity of their cases; how will they be fed; and how much budget will be needed for that purpose; and where it will be sourced. 

In a big house, then the social distancing can be done easily. What do you think, Folks?

No comments: