Thursday, July 5, 2018

SOCIAL ISSUES


1. An elevator in a posh mall smells of sewage all the time. I pity the elevator woman who has to stay inside all the time delivering passengers on every floor from opening to closing of the mall. 

2. The tile installers of several companies seem to have done a very bad job. In a bank, I nearly tripped over because the tiles were no longer flat on the ground. 

In a mall, in almost all the floors, the tiles also are uneven. I wonder why the tile installers 
cannot perfect their craft. Do they have an axe to grind with their construction company so that they just do as they please, making safety a problem in walking inside the buildings? I think this reflects on the kind of Philippine construction we have. The Professional Regulations Commission has to sit up and inspect the credentials of construction company officials if they are really  fit to engage in the trade. 

3. The drug addiction problem is a social issue. Ergo it needs social solution. Drug pushing is economic sabotage. Still that needs a peaceful not a violent solution. (By the way, I wonder why everytime a police action occurs,  someone dies, gets killed. Why can't the police use bullets that would just paralyze the targeted offender or criminal? I am not a gunholder but I pity the many lives that get lost everytime  a police operation occurs. Besides, the police could be earning more the ire of those in the trade if they pursue that method of just snuffing the lives of their "colleagues" in the trade.

4. I also want to ask: how come when news of arrest in an operation occurs, the source of the illegal drugs is not mentioned? We only get to know about the police and the arrested. Isn't there a way of deepening the reporting and making the public more concerned about the problem? As it is we seem to be becoming inured to the problem. 

5. The condition of senior citizens needs more thorough study, daily, not just occasionally. For example, at huge malls, I notice that there are hardly seats for us to rest on as we try to walk from the entrance to the supermarket. The more affluent can afford a wheelchair to be pushed by their caregiver. But how about the ordinary folks? 

The public vehicles should be able to stop, load and unload senior citizens at places where they have to get on and off. The MetroManila Development Authority should relax their rules on this matter. At Makati, I have a hard time walking from the loading to the unloading sections. Supposing other senior citizens or PWDs have problems with their legs, then the need to have flexible road regulations becomes very important. 

6. The Quezon Memorial Circle is anti senior and anti-PWD citizens. Coming from Quezon Ave, the buses unload at a point far from that stop where the terminal of the Tandang Sora jeeepneys is located. Today, I had to take a cab to go to the Department of Environment along Visayas Avenue. It's good I have funds for that, but how about the others? 

7. Every restaurant and canteen should have a card in front of the food served at the counter detailing the contents. Many times, I have been told a viand is veggie but when I ate it, it contained bits of pork which made my nape ache. I think it must be imperative that food contents should be put in the label of the food and penalties should be imposed on those who do not follow the rule. 

8. Every restaurant and canteen also must have two kinds of sugar offerings -- refined and brown. Too often, when I eat refined sugar I develop a toothache. 

Everytime I eat pancake at this fastfood chain they do not have brown sugar for their coffee and I just have to blink hard at the thought of eating toxic refined sugar. 

So by offering brown sugar, we are giving customers a healthy choice for sweetening what they eat. Children will also learn that nutrition means looking at every aspect of what one eats and how they affect the body. 

9. Daily, I suffer from intrusions into my residence. I hope that the barangay would speed up its hearings on this matter as I have already mentioned the suspects. Many days past, they tamper with my things, getting the scissors from where I have placed them and dropping them at the foot of the table. Yesterday, the intruder pilfered my ID picture, defaced it and put it on top of the piano bench. What does that mean- a threat to harm me physically? I am not afraid of dying and so I pasted the ID foto on the door of my residence. 





No comments: