Tuesday, August 4, 2009

WHY THE PEOPLE LOVE CORY


The hundreds of thousands of people viewing Cory's remains, and those lining up the streets where her "caro" passed by from La Salle Greenhills up to the Manila Cathedral for longer viewing of the people, now reveal MANY qualities of the people:

The Filipino people know who are genuine leaders and who are not. "Sila ay marunong magtanim ng tunay na kaalaman." Second quality: They never forget a good thing done to them even after many decades and that shows also the people as a "grateful people." We know how to be grateful to genuine people who truly help us. Third quality: The Filipino people do not count the cost when they show their true feelings, especially of gratitude. Many braved the rains, put up their own posters no matter if these were only on small pieces of cardboard, and even climbed posts just to be able to view Cory's "caro."

How else will you be able to depict a people who have been cheated, lied to, and violently treated after all these years?

Truly we need a new leader, female or male Cory who can inspire the people again to take charge of change and to rally others to gather and bring about a true and new country, a new Philippines.

Let us remember her words though as she had become President then and revealed the trials and travails of being one: (quoted from Ben Pimentel's email:)

...Cory expounded on one of the key lessons she learned.

“Before I became president I was asked: How do you propose to run the government given your limited experience?” she told me. “And I said I believed that I could get 50 men and women who were honest and competent to help me run the government. At that time, I thought honesty and competence were the only requirements for getting good cabinet members.

“But after I became president—during the first few months of my term—I realized that there was a third quality very much needed in order to help me in the running of affairs. That was the ability to work well with others. With the honest and competent, I could have had all-star players. But if they did not possess the quality of being humble enough to get along well with others, then you did encounter many problems.”

No comments: