Wednesday, August 19, 2009

CHANGE STARTS WITH A SINGLE EDUCATIONAL STEP


Yes it almost means quixotic to fight for what is right in our country, to continue doing right and to correct those who would try to make us just accept what is not right.

Yesterday, I had to go to a barangay in order to denounce a tricycle driver. His fault? He made fun of me -- for wanting to have the right fare for a ride to my destination. He gave two conflicting rates and when he lowered and I said I would take it, he immediately pointed at another driver who would take it. And so I reported him to the barangay for his mischievous act, and in all terms, of being discriminatory of those who do cannot afford "their" rates. The barangay belongs to the affluent ones in MetroManila and the regular passengers are wealthy enough to afford any amount they charge. I asked for a 7-day suspension of his license to drive.

Why go through the trouble of reporting such an incident? I did because I wanted to teach him a lesson. And I know that once this happens to him, his other co-drivers shall learn about it and learn their lessons as well.

In others words, in our country, one person's experience can be a model for everyone else.

I cite to you another lesson I gave to a jeepney driver. The no-smoking ordinance had been promulgated already but a Quiapo driver refused to throw his cigarette away. As soon as I saw a police force in the streets, I reported him and he was sent to the nearest jail in the area. He was detained for 30 minutes. Since that time, I noticed that not many jeepney drivers smoked inside the vehicles anymore.

Today, a law exists banning it all together in public places.

Every change, or educational step, begins with a single step, no matter how small it seems. It reverberates and gets known by many people.

No comments: