Friday, March 30, 2018

MABINI, GOOD FRIDAY AND THE YOUTH OF TODAY




How should we read the Bible? Concentrate on what it says and not relate it to Philppine history?

That is quite difficult is it not?

I was at a UP library and came across the ad of the Central Bank on the new money bills and coins circulating around. One that struck me was that of Mabini on the ten peso coin. He was the Brains of the Revolution against Spain and the United States at the turn of the century. 

He was purportedly poisoned after drinking a cup of carabao milk that was served him. He was donein because of his strong stance against capitulating to the 2nd set of colonizers despite having been exiled in Guam. Even an American high official took off his hat to him. 

I felt I had seen a figure at the library while about to leave it. It had long trousers, no feet, and white camisa chino with long sleeves. When I turned sideways to see who was it, there was nobody there. I told the clerk at the reception but she would not believe me. 

Then I remembered the image of Mabini and I wondered why he was still around. He had not moved out to the next world or to heaven. Then I surmised that he could have been an atheist or a mason like Rizal, as he and his colleagues were against the religion that the Spanish officials and priests were pushing for the people to embrace. 

It is Good Friday and we are observing the hanging of Christ on the cross. During my childhood, we were disciplined not to talk and to keep quiet until the following Black Saturday. But the children and youth of today are not that religious nor spiritually conscious at all. We are losing the youth to drugs and violent computer games where their aim is to kill, kill, kill. 

What for did Mabini and our other heroes and heroines die for?

No comments: