Tuesday, January 6, 2015

HOW

Relevance is  a very difficult task to follow in this world. We cannot just dream big and work on our advocacies with gusto without encountering obstacles along the way. 

I tried writing earlier but a man came inside the office and my computer conked out. The internet would not open. Then when he left, immediately, my computer started working but somebody was blocking my access to the internet and so I had to quit, really now. 

Anyway, I wanted to tell you that I created stickers "STOP FARE HIKE" to protest the increase in metro light railway fares. Did you know that of all the people I gave it to, at the EDSA corner Quezon Ave escalator portion of the MRT  only one accepted it? I approached about ten to twelve. And that one person exchanged the flyer he was giving away to my small sticker. 

Good God, here we are talking about advancement of Filipino people in terms of so many awards, even economically, but still the mere act of receiving a small sticker and pasting it on their arm, or their chest, or their notebook was anathema to them. 

The question is, how do raise the courage of the people in order to do the minutest act of protest, instead of just being fence-sitters? Remember Folks, these are the passengers directly hit by the fare increase and yet they were unwilling even to accept a small sticker -- one inch by 1'2 inch.

I think that many campaigns fail because -- mataas kaagad ang attack ng protesta. Why couldn't the protesters start slowly -- making the people aware that it is their right to protest, then graduate them to street protests. Actually the latter should be resorted to after a week or two already. 

The years of martial law crippled the people's ability to response to oppression. Hence, we should start educating them on how best to protest without their losing any of their properties, their reputation, whatever; that telling them the long term benefits from protesting would give them a more fruitful life where they can devote their talents to creative and hopefully prosperous tasks.

So, kindly tell your relatives, make their own stickers of protest. No matter how little 

No comments: