Monday, May 17, 2010

FEARS OF THE UNKNOWN

Wilhelmina S, Orozco

Our fears of the unknown are coming back. We are afraid of what will happen after June 20. Will Noynoy turn out as the president we have been looking for or not?

Some people's fears could turn into cynicism and say "I have told you so" even before the whole new administration has been filled up with new people, new faces, new public servants in the real sense. Yes, we are looking for genuine public servants, civil servants, public administrators who will watch our coffers honestly and give to the people what we truly deserve.

Is it too much to say that we must maintain our trust of the positive things that will happen here? Is it too much to ask that our role shall not be as fencesitters but active partners in rebuilding our society whose moral fiber had been torn into pieces through ten years of misrule and intentional acts to make money?

No, we don't surrender our right to be vigilant even if how many administrations should come and go in our country.

Just this afternoon I was in Alabang and under the scorching heat of summer, I walked through the railtracks to ride the airconditioned train to Quezon City. One train had just left, I was told by a woman who was picking the lice of her friend. I asked when the next one will be? The other woman entered a small alley, and the busy woman told me she would ask the time of the next trip. "Maupo ho muna kayo rito. Mainit ho diyan," she welcomed me.

I was so touched by her gesture of accommodating my request for info which should have been provided by the Philippine National Railways. Why, there is hope, our people are genuinely, and spontaneously humane. Earlier, I asked a girl vendor about the next train, and she answered, "Ay, kaaalis pa lang ho nung isa, hindi ko ho alam kung kailan yung susunod." What does that say of her response? Nanghihinayang siya at na miss ko yung tren at ako'y maghihintay na naman.

Nakakaiyak, our own people are ready to help a stranger, me, find my way to the train to get back to QC.

Then I was told that at Bicutan, I could get more chances of riding as the PNR trains there always stop, as some do not proceed to Alabang anymore. At Bicutan station, I asked the ticket manager, "Bakit ganito ang istasyon ninyo? Ang init nang papunta sa istasyon, walang shed. Walang upuan (As I had seen men sleeping on the cemented floor of the waiting station.) Worse pa sa Alabang. Naglakad ako sa railtracks sa ilalim ng init ng araw."

He replied, "Kinapos ang budget, nakurakot."

Folks, we don't stop believing in our ability to change our society because the majority of the Filipino people know what is good, what is honest, what is sincere public service. Let us continue helping them, intellectually, emotionally, physically, organizationally. Let us never forget that many generations more are waiting for a better Philippines.

No comments: