Thursday, September 3, 2009

DON QUIXOTE VS THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING

FROM JAIME GARCHITORENA

Some people refer to certain points in the future as make or break.

Many say that 2010 is make or break.

I believe every day is make or break.

I believe that the future is only a product of the way we have taken our past to influence our present.

1986 was make or break. Every impeachment was make or break. Every scandal we don’t deal with properly is make or break. Every day a petty theft happens with impunity is make or break.

Every day is make or break and in our recent history we have break-ed more than we have make-ed.

In relation to 2010, many people have called this a make or break election and the same people have created a vision of the future with Noynoy at the leading edge. This, in my opinion, is placing at the forefront, someone who, to my personal knowledge, has exhibited no significant presence in the past , no accomplishments of great leadership that may indicate a better future, and at present reflects a personality that indicates timid-ness and reluctance rather than what many people characterize humility and thoughtfulness. It reminds me of Peter attempting to step off the boat, into the turbulent waters, as he followed Jesus walking into the lake, and his lack of faith almost leading to his drowning.

To those who believe, Noynoy’s parents have shown the way and have proven the concept of popular support for unlikely candidates. Noynoy, the rock who some have decided to build the future on, could at least take a step in the waters with more confidence and faith. If Noynoy does not believe, how can we?

I won’t comment on those who have latched on to Noynoy as a potential president of the Philippines because I believe the choice for choosing a president is akin to choosing a religion or belief system to anchor ones hopes for a better life and after life. But I believe that aside from being technically qualified, a president must be bold, daring, and decisive as the odds stacked against our 2010 president will be formidable indeed. No doubt that any leader’s palms will sweat at the Herculean task ahead of him. But he must hide his sweaty palms that under whatever gloves he feels are needed to handle the boiling cauldron that is our country.



Im not looking for the perfect leader. I can go to church for that. But even that leader was nailed to the cross.

Im looking for someone to hand me a resume, look me straight in the eye, tell me that he is the best man for the job, show me a plan, convince me that his experience matches the need, and tell me that he will break his back trying to fix what everyone else says cannot be fixed.

No hemming. No hawing. No asking for one million signatures. No asking for discernment from God. No signs of grace from his departed parents. No validation from his siblings. No parachutes. No guarantees.

I can do this he has to say. Lets get it on.

I dont want a reluctant candidate and I certainly dont want a reluctant president.

For my choice for presidents and 2010, I would rather have a Don Quixote than The Man Who Would be King.

No comments: