Tuesday, May 26, 2009

FR. REUTER LOVES THE FILIPINO PEOPLE AND THE PHILIPPINES


FR. JAMES REUTER who has taken our country as his own writes his last column in the newspaper and has a lot of good things to say about the Filipino people...


I
am ten days away from my 93rd birthday. God has been kinder to me than
I deserve, giving me such a rich life, in such a beautiful country,
among such gentle people. He has blessed me with so many kind,
affectionate, generous loving friends.
I found that the best time
for me to write was 3:00 A.M. My mind is clearer, my heart is warmer,
and I am overwhelmed with the goodness of the people God sends to me.



I have tried to give .... to give
the only thing I have to give ... Myself. I have tried to share my
thoughts, my feelings, the wonderful holiness that I see in the simple,
gentle people that God sends to me.

As soon as I came to the
Philippines I realized that the Filipinos were the loveliest people in
the world. It was a gift of God, a special blessing, that He sent me
here.

I have been thanked for giving my life to the Philippines.

Thank you .
* for your gift of friendship through these many long years
* for reading "At 3:00 A.M.." from the time I started writing my column
* for your reactions through letters and phone calls when you liked or
did not like what I wrote
* for sharing your stories which inspired me to write them so they
could inspire others
* for your love and concern
*for your prayers which comfort me and which I need.


What
I have found in the Philippines is union ....union of hearts and minds
... It is marked by sharing .... The simple, gentle Filipino is willing
to share all he has, with everyone.

That is holiness ... That is sanctity ... That is being like God.

No comments: